David Allen Black on Greek grammar, green vegetables, and the “key to effective preaching”

The opening words from Black’s intermediate Greek grammar:

People who teach or write about Greek grammar tend to treat the subject as though it were a green vegetable: you may not like grammar, but it’s good for you. The reason it’s good for you, of course, is that the depth of your preaching or teaching from the New Testament depends in large part on how well you handle the original Greek. As a friend once put it, ” A good preacher is like an iceberg: you see only 10 percent, but underneath you sense the other 90 percent.” What he meant was that the key to effective preaching is the ability to simplify without becoming simplistic. Only a solid understanding of of New Testament Greek grammar can give you this ability, and motivating you to continue your Greek studies is one of the main purposes of this book, even if grammar is not your cup of tea.

But enough lecturing. I learned very quickly when I first began teaching Greek more than twenty years ago that you don’t have to do much sermonizing about the importance of Greek grammar to people whose livelihoods depend in large part on how well they communicate the Word of God.

David Allen Black, It’s Still Greek to Me, 11

Advertisements

About cteldridge

A beggar trying to tell other beggars were the Bread is.
This entry was posted in Biblical languages, Preaching. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s